PG's decision in ex-NUNW boss fraud case not ready

17 Apr 2015 15:30pm
WINDHOEK, 17 APR (NAMPA) – A decision by the Office of the Prosecutor-General (PG) in connection with the fraud and theft case involving the former acting Secretary-General (SG) of the National Union of Namibian Workers (NUNW), has not yet been finalised.
The 48-year-old Alfred Angula was arrested in October 2013 after a Belgian donor agency (Fes-Belgium) laid charges of fraud and theft against him in connection with donor funds that allegedly went missing at the Namibia Farmworkers’ Union (NAFWU).
The alleged fraud and theft case involves about N.dollars 1.2 million donated to NAFWU by the European donor agency.
Angula made another appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court in Katutura along Mungunda Street on Friday, when he was informed that the office of the PG has not yet made a decision on how to proceed with his case. He appeared before Magistrate Ivan Gawanab when the case was postponed to 22 May this year, as per an agreement reached between Senior Public Prosecutor, Arrie Husselmann and Angula's defence lawyer, Edwin Coetzee to allow the PG's office to pronounce itself on the matter.
Angula is free on bail of N.dollars 50 000 and his bail was also extended until his next court appearance.
Angula was at the helm of NAFWU as SG when the money allegedly went missing at the union.
The charge sheet indicated that the accused person allegedly committed the offence between 31 January 2012 and 31 December 2012.
Angula had already entered pleas of not guilty to the two charges against him before Windhoek Magistrate Leopold Hangalo on 04 February this year.
During the court proceedings, Angula did not disclose the basis of his defence or not guilty pleas.
Angula was released on bail on 23 October 2013 after he brought a successful formal bail application before court.
The bail was granted with a single condition attached to it, in that Angula should not directly or indirectly interfere with police investigations.