Tobias does not have his boxers' interests at heart: Tjombe

16 Jul 2013 10:40
WINDHOEK, 16 JUL (NAMPA) - Local boxing promoter Anita Tjombe says fellow promoter Nestor Tobias does not have his boxers? interests at heart, and is only interested in making money.
Nampa approached Tjombe for comment on Tuesday following a media statement in which Tobias, who is the chairman of the MTC Nestor Sunshine Boxing & Fitness Academy, announced that Tjombe lied about a fight taking place between Harry ?Onkugo? Simon and Vikapita ?The Beast Master? Meroro in September this year.
Tjombe, who is also Simon?s spokesperson, on Monday announced that former world champion Simon will fight Namibia?s current World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Africa Cruiserweight champion Meroro on 07 September.
In her announcement, she said the two pugilists will contest the International Boxing Federation (IBF)?s light-heavyweight title.
In response to that statement, Tobias issued a media statement on Tuesday, where he dismissed the announcement, calling it a lie since no contract was signed between the two parties in that regard.
Tjombe, nonetheless, stood her ground and on Tuesday accused Tobias of only being in the boxing arena ?to make money for himself?.
?All he is interested in is money that he is making for his own benefit,? she charged, adding that she signed a contract with Meroro himself for the fight to take place.
She went on to say that ?The Beast Master? has allegedly indicated that he wants to fight, whether Tobias wants it or not.
There apparently also is not a signed contract between the two appointing Tobias as Meroro?s promoter, with Tjombe saying the last agreement they had signed was in 2009, and it has not been renewed since.
She further revealed that earlier this year, she proposed that the two of them co-promote the fight and get a 50-50 share in the fight, a proposal which Tobias apparently declined.
?The issue here is that Nestor does not want me to promote the fight, neither co-promote it with him. He wants to pocket the money,? she stated.
Tjombe further alleged that Tobias has another fight on in northern Namibia on the same day (07 September), where Paulus ?The Hitman? Moses will feature in the main bout, which means he will not be available for the Meroro fight.
?I earlier agreed for Hitman to fight as an undercard during the Harry-Meroro fight, but to my surprise Hitman came back to me saying he will no longer fight on that night since he has his own main bout in the North on the same evening,? she explained.
Meanwhile, Tjombe insisted that according to the agreement she has with Meroro, the fight is still on.
?I want to make sure Harry gets up as a champion again. Nestor has been too vocal about this fight, saying Meroro will beat Harry, and now that the moment has finally arrived, he is running away,? she indicated.
Simon, the former world champion, knocked down Hungarian pugilist Zoltan Kiss Jr in the second round of their light-heavyweight non-title fight here on 29 June.
That fight was also a gateway for Simon to qualify for a world title challenge.
Meroro is the current WBO Africa Cruiserweight champion.
He retained his title when he defeated Uganda?s Namsa Wandera by a technical knockout in the third round here on 02 March 2013.
He holds a professional record of 27 fights and 23 wins (11 by way of knockout), and four losses.
(NAMPA)
TA/AS/TK