16 Jul 2013 09:50
OPUWO, 16 JUL (NAMPA) - One case of cholera has been confirmed in the Kunene Region so far.
The Ministry of Health and Social Services (MoHSS) is also treating two other people suspected of having cholera here.
All three are from neighbouring Angola.
The Constituency Councillor for the Opuwo Constituency, Kazeongere Tjeundo made an announcement on the Namibian Broadcasting Corporation (NBC)?s Otjiherero Radio Service on Monday, saying he received confirmation of a cholera outbreak from the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health and Social Services.
The first patient is a 37-year-old woman, who was diagnosed with cholera at the Otjimuhaka border post clinic in the Epupa Constituency, and was transferred to the Opuwo State Hospital, where she was treated successfully and discharged.
According to medical records, the woman was admitted on 01 July 2013, and discharged three days later after treatment.
The other two patients - a 54-year-old man and a 25-year-old woman - are waiting for the test results to confirm or rule out cholera.
They were admitted on 10 and 11 July respective, and are currently kept isolated at the Opuwo State Hospital, Tjeundo said.
The team from the Epidemiology Department in the Ministry of Health and Social Services and the World Health Organisation arrived in Kunene on Monday to visit the areas where the outbreak originated from.
The team comprises the Deputy Director of Epidemiology Clementine Muroua; WHO Surveillance Officer Petrus Mhata; and the MoHSS?s Chief Health Inspector Vasco Munsu.
They will visit the Otjimuhaka border post clinic on Tuesday.
In 2008 and 2009, the Kunene Region recorded 140 cases of cholera, of which the origin was Angola. It quickly spread throughout the region due to the heavy rainfall at the time, and people who were using water from earth dams.
A big camp was put up at the Opuwo State Hospital to accommodate the high number of patients who had to be isolated for treatment for cholera then.
The Okangwati Combined School was also closed in 2009 due to the threatening cholera outbreak due to poor sanitation and ablution facilities there.
The Director of Health for the Kunene Region, Thomas Shapumba told Nampa on Tuesday that the situation is under control now as there has been no other cholera case being reported since the last two people had been hospitalized.