Rundu mass land application called off at last minute

27 Feb 2015 17:30pm
RUNDU, 27 FEB (NAMPA) - The proposed mass submission of applications for urban land at Rundu was cancelled at the last minute by organisers here.
Despite the cancellation, a sizeable number of landless youth still handed in their application letters individually at the town council.
Rundu Town Council chief executive officer (CEO), Romans Haironga received a letter dated 27 February 2015, informing the council that the planned mass submission campaign was cancelled.
Organiser of the Rundu event, Kupembona Augustinus wrote that short letter, saying should any land application be submitted, it will not be under the ‘Affirmative Repositioning’ campaign.
“Most young people were scarred to participate in the planned mass land application because they were scared of being victimised in the future,” said one of the young people who handed in his application for urban land.
The Swapo-Party leadership in the Kavango East Region on Thursday held a media conference during which it called on its members not to be “misled by the so-called Affirmative Repositioning activists”.
The party’s coordinator in the region, Johanna Kandjimi said in a speech read on her behalf by the party’s Elders’ Council secretary Nestor Mufenda earlier that the land activists have a political motive to destruct the country’s hard-won freedom and independence and that it should be condemned at all levels.
Kandjimi noted that the ruling party in the region is going to ensure that no one is allowed to “play cheap politics at the expense of those who sacrificed their lives towards the attainment of he country’s dignity”.
Swapo members were urged to follow the existing procedures on the acquisition of land.
Kandjimi indicated that the party is cognisant of the fact that the scarcity of land, especially in urban areas for residential and business purposes, is due to the lack of serviced land.
(NAMPA)
OH/ND