Windhoek youth were not supposed to submit applications Friday

27 Feb 2015 15:50pm
WINDHOEK, 27 FEB (NAMPA) – The City of Windhoek (CoW) did not anticipate mass submission of land applications on Friday, and thus did not prepare for it.
Thousands of landless Windhoek residents turned up at the municipality’s building in the central business district at 11h00 to submit there applications.
The CoW's manager for corporate communications, Joshua Amukugo told Nampa upon enquiry Friday that the residents were misinformed, saying the countrywide campaign excluded Windhoek because city residents already had the opportunity to do so in November last year.
Chaos then erupted when CoW officials informed the applicants that no applications were being received under the Affirmative Repositioning mass application for land drive on Friday, and that it would only accept applications through the normal route.
The situation only calmed down when a box was brought outside for applicants to submit their application letters.
Amukugo said the City was still attending to about 14 000 applications submitted enmasse on 21 November 2014, and apart from those applications, there were already over 25 000 applicants on the waiting list for urban land.
He added that there would be no special consideration made for the mass applications.
“We will know the way forward with the mass applications submitted today after deliberations with council,” he said.
Land activist Job Amupanda, who spearheads the campaign, was facilitating the process in Okahandja, but drove back to Windhoek to address the situation at the CoW building.
“The CoW did not know that mass applications will be coming. But this does not mean authorities' offices should be closed,” he said.
He told Amukugo during the submission process that he returned to the city to address the chaos to ensure that the standing relationship with the CoW remains a good one.
Some 50 Local Authorities were expected to receive mass applications for land on Friday.
(NAMPA)
ANS/ND