"I had no intention to kill my girlfriend", claims Komeya

18 Feb 2015 14:10pm
WINDHOEK, 18 FEB (NAMPA) - A former police officer who allegedly shot and killed his prison warden girlfriend here in September 2011, claimed on Wednesday that he had no intention to kill her.
Gerhard Komeya, 43, is on trial in the Windhoek High Court for allegedly killing his late girlfriend, 42-year-old Kertu Maria Tunondjambi Sheehama at their Hakahana residential area in the capital on 10 September 2011.
He is now claiming before presiding High Court judge Naomi Shivute that the gunshots which led to the death of his deceased girlfriend went off accidentally during a tense scuffle between the two lovers on that fateful day.
Delivering instructions to his State-sponsored defence lawyer Monty Karuaihe during the cross-examination of State witness Rebekka Sheehama on her evidence-in-chief before court, Komeya said “I had no intention to kill the deceased person. Some heated verbal arguments erupted when the deceased person confronted me in the house, wanting to know why I was travelling to the North without her knowledge.
At that particular moment, she was angry and pushing me when she heard that I was about to travel to the North. And during this scuffle, shots which went off accidentally from the shotgun hit and killed the deceased person.”
However, Komeya's version was flatly dismissed as mere 'fabrications and lies' by witness Sheehama, the biological sister of the deceased person.
“Gerhard Komeya is telling lies before court. There was intention to kill the deceased person because when he came home at about 18h00 on 10 September 2011, he immediately told the deceased person to stand up so that he could kill her, together with her kids.
I personally saw him loading the hunting rifle with bullets. Three gunshots were fired, of which two gunshots hit the deceased person through the mouth. A third one was found in the chamber of the rifle”, the witness recounted.
Komeya had entered pleas of not guilty to five charges laid against him by the State on Tuesday morning.
These pleas were to a count of murder, attempted murder, alternatively negligent discharge or handling of a firearm while in a public place, a charge of pointing a firearm, malicious damage to property when he allegedly destroyed a mobile cellular phone belonging to his late girlfriend, as well as a charge of defeating or obstructing the course of justice by allegedly attempting to remove some of the spent cartridges from the crime scene.
The trial is only set to run until this Friday, 20 February 2015. It may be postponed then.
Komeya allegedly shot his girlfriend dead with a hunting rifle, and it was in the time which the late Sheehama was scheduled to be transferred from Windhoek to the coastal town of Swakopmund in the Erongo region as part of her promotion to a higher position.
Jealousy is also said to have played a part in the tragedy.
Meanwhile, the family members, relatives and neighbours had earlier claimed that the relationship between Komeya and his deceased girlfriend was characterised by violence and abuse over the years.
Komeya was arrested by the police at their house in the Hakahana area of Katutura shortly after the alleged murder incident.
He has been in police custody since his arrest with no option to post bail.
State Advocate Cliff Lutibezi is representing the prosecution in the trial.