Former security guard fined N.dollars 6 000 for drunken driving

12 Feb 2015 17:00pm
WINDHOEK, 12 FEB (NAMPA) - A former security guard was on Thursday sentenced to pay a fine of N.dollars 8 000.
Martin Angamba was slapped with the fine by High Court Judge Alfred Siboleka in connection with an incident which led to the death of his supervisor Andrew Molaletz, 28, when a shot was accidentally fired from his (Angamba) service pistol at Swakopmund in the Erongo Region during December 2011.
The 44-year-old Angamba was initially charged with a count of murder in connection with the death of Molaletz, as well as attempted murder, drunken driving and assault by threat.
He was, however, only found guilty on a charge of driving a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol, pointing a firearm as well as assault by threat in a judgement delivered by High Court Judge Siboleka at the end of the trial in August last year.
On Thursday, Siboleka ordered the former security guard to pay a fine of N.dollars 6 000 or face one year imprisonment on a charge of drunken driving.
This charge was dealt with by the court according to the provisions of the Road Traffic and Transportation Act (Act 22 of 1999).
On the charge of pointing a firearm which was dealt with the under provisions of the Arms and Ammunition Act (Act Seven of 1996), Angamba was sentenced to pay a fine of N.dollars 2 000 or 12 months imprisonment.
On the last charge of assault by threat, the former security guard was sentenced to four months imprisonment.
In addition, Angamba was also declared unfit to possess a firearm for a period of two years, which begins after he had completed serving the sentences imposed in this case.
As part of the punishment, Angamba's driving licence is also suspended for a period of three months with effect from the date of this sentence.
It was then handed over to the office of the Clerk of the Court at Swakopmund for safekeeping until the expiration of the period of suspension, which will be on 12 May 2015.
“This court cannot over-emphasise the seriousness of driving under the influence of alcohol. Although Martin Angamba has not been involved in a road accident, the crime remains serious. In this matter, he was on duty when he started drinking.
The deceased person, who was his supervisor, and other off-duty security guards were drinking,” said the judge as he imposed the sentences.
Angamba had spent a year in police holding cells whilst awaiting the finalisation of his case.
Evidence presented before court during trial had it that deceased Molaletz, who was off-duty on that fateful evening, allegedly received a call from the G4S security firm’s offices to attend to complaints from a location where Angamba was operating.
It is alleged that Molaletz proceeded to the Mondesa Mini Market, where he met Angamba, who at a later stage drove the company's vehicle back to the G4S security firm's offices with Molaletz as a passenger in the same vehicle.
On their way to the G4S offices, Angamba allegedly stopped the vehicle in front of the Hansa Bakery, and a shot was accidentally fired from his service pistol which claimed the life of Molaletz, who died on the spot.
Angamba then proceeded to the offices of G4S.
While at the offices of the G4S security firm, he had allegedly also pointed a firearm at Elma Bloedooght, who was also a colleague of his and who was manning the control room at the time of the incident.
The other charge of assault by threat also relates to Bloedooght.
Windhoek-based defence lawyer Titus Ipumbu appeared for Angamba, with State Advocate Ethel Ndlovu representing the prosecution.
Ipumbu appeared for Angamba on the instructions of the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid.