Police end search for remains of Nkurenkuru boy
09 Feb 2015 12:40pm
NKURENKURU, 09 FEB (NAMPA) - The search for the remains of a 10-year-old boy who was attacked and killed by a crocodile at Nkurenkuru almost two weeks ago, has been suspended.
The boy reportedly disappeared while swimming in the Okavango River with his friends on 28 January this year.
It was initially suspected that the deceased had drowned, but it was later established that he was in fact attacked by a crocodile, which was seen roaming around the area immediately after the attack.
The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)s Crime Investigations Co-ordinator in the Kavango West Region, Detective Chief Inspector Nikolaus Kupembona told Nampa on Monday that the police conducted an intensive search of the river, but no recovery has been made.
We have conducted a vigorous search of that part of the Okavango River where the child went missing.
There was nothing forthcoming. We informed the villagers to be on alert, and to inform the police if something comes up, said Kupembona.
The polices Water Wing Unit as well as officials from the Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) conducted the search.
The deceased, who was a Grade Three learner at the Nkurenkuru Combined School, had been identified as Sebastian Muhepa, a resident of Nkurenkuru.