DRAMA PRODUCER LOSES RM10-MLN SUIT AGAINST TV3

16 Jul 2013 07:54

KUALA LUMPUR, July 16 (Bernama) -- A drama producer today lost his RM10-million defamation suit against TV3 over an interview in a "Melodi" programme five years ago.

In dismissing Jurey Latiff Mohd Rosli's suit, High Court judge Datuk Nik Hasmat Nik Mohamad ruled that the words contained in the interview were not defamatory of Jurey Latiff.

The judge said the words did not also tantamount to defamation as Jurey Latiff had been informed of the content of the interview before the programme was aired.

"He had position of knowledge of the issue against him. He knew what he was responding to," the judge said, adding that Jurey Latiff could have rejected the interview but he had consented to be interviewed.

Furthermore, the judge said, Jurey Latiff had voluntarily participated in the interview and he was aware of the issue.

-- MORE

COURT-PRODUCER 2 (LAST) KUALA LUMPUR

Nik Hasmat also held that TV3, as a major TV station in the country, had merely practised responsible journalism in publishing the interview.

The judge ordered Jurey Latiff to pay RM25,000 in costs to TV3.

On Jan 13, 2009, Jurey Latiff, who is the president of the Malaysian Television Producers Association, had sued TV3, claiming that the Melodi programme aired by station at 12.30 pm on Sept 21, 2008, had defamed him.

In his statement of claim, he had said that the host, Nas Ahmad, had implied that he was an immoral individual and a dishonest, irresponsible husband and father.

TV3, in its amended statement of defence, said the interview was made on qualified privilege because it had a moral and social duty to publish any knowledge it acquired of individuals so that the public can be fully informed.

-- BERNAMA

SSA JM MGN