CRIME-KENSINGTON

23 Jan 2015 10:30am
NEW EVIDENCE IN KENSINGTON CASE: POLICE New evidence has come to light in an investigation into a string of murder and rape cases in the Kensington area of Cape Town, Western Cape police said on Friday. Lt-Col Andre Traut believed the evidence would strengthen a related criminal case against a 30-year-old man who appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate's Court on Thursday. "The circumstances surrounding the suspect’s involvement in more cases are being investigated and we are pleased to announce that significant progress is being made." The man, 30, faces one count of rape, two of robbery with aggravating circumstances and one of murder. He may not be named until he pleads, because the charges include a sexual offence. The man abandoned his bail application on Thursday and will remain in custody until his next appearance on March 24. The prosecutor said additional charges were being investigated, and that this would take some time. The man is alleged to have raped and robbed a woman of R100 and a cellphone at knifepoint in the Cape Town suburb of Acacia Park, where parliamentary employees live, in February, 2013. In May last year, he allegedly used a firearm to rob Pamela Tshisba, a student, of her handbag containing her cellphone, train ticket and student pass, at Century City. The murder charge relates to the death of Nontemba Ntonto in December last year. He allegedly beat her about the head with a rock. Her body was found in bushes in Century City. Sapa /je/cls/fg