Taxi with stolen meat impounded at Otjiwarongo

30 Dec 2014 11:00am
OTJIWARONGO, 30 DEC (NAMPA) – The police at Otjiwarongo on Sunday evening impounded a taxi packed full of dried and fresh meat suspected to have been stolen from nearby farms.
The Namibian Police Force’s (NamPol) Otjozondjupa Regional Public Relations Officer, Warrant Officer Maureen Mbeha told Nampa in interview on Monday that a 33-year-old taxi driver was arrested in that tactical police operation.
Mbeha said the police on Sunday received a tip-off from members of the public that a taxi with blue numbers was seen driving on a private road entering the vicinities of farms Roland, Orupembarora and Doringlaagte at about 21h00.
The three commercial farms are situated approximately 20 kilometres south-east of Otjiwarongo in the Otjozondjupa Region.
According to Mbeha, one of the whistle-blowers who saw the taxi decided to follow it from a distance with his private vehicle, and he witnessed the three men loading the bags of meat into the taxi.
“He immediately called the police to the scene. Upon the arrival of the police officers, the three suspects fled the scene on foot and abandoned the taxi which was already loaded with dried and fresh meat,” said the police spokesperson.
The taxi driver, who was still standing there next to his taxi, was arrested on the spot.
Mbeha said the police’s preliminary investigations found that three heads of cattle, valued at N.dollars 30 000, were reported missing from Farm Roland over the weekend.
Three cattle hides were also discovered hidden in the ground on Farm Roland by the police in their investigations on Monday.
Police therefore suspect that the recovered stolen meat in the taxi had originated from Farm Roland.
It is suspected the cattle were first trapped with snare wires over the weekend, and then slaughtered on the farm.
“The three suspected cattle rustlers who fled the scene are well-known to the police and they will be apprehended soon,” noted Mbeha.
The arrested taxi driver is expected to appear in the Otjiwarongo Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.
Police investigations in the matter continue.