Swakopmund land grabbers to erect shacks Wed.

23 Dec 2014 09:10am
SWAKOPMUND, 23 DEC (NAMPA) – Swakopmund residents who illegally marked off municipal land last week, are planning to erect shacks on such plots on Wednesday.
President of the Christian Democratic Voice party (CDV), Gotthardt Kandume initiated the land grab here last week, assisted by Engelhardt Uirab, Sylvester Tjongarero and Johan Gaseb.
Kandume told Nampa on Tuesday that due to pressure from the police, land grabbers left the initial piece of land they seized between Hanganeni and the DRC informal settlement, because the serviced land was allocated to the Shack Dwellers’ Federation by the municipality.
He said they did not give up the fight for land but grabbed another piece of unserviced land, just next to the initial one, where they will now put up their shacks.
“We will never stop until they give people land; 600 people will erect structures on that land on Wednesday,” he said.
This is contrary to statements by Namibian Police Force Inspector Erick Nghaamwa, the station commander for the Mondesa residential area, who said that Uirab and Kandume agreed with him on Sunday that the land-grabbing will stop and grabbers will follow the legal route to apply for land.
“I advised Kandume to tell the rest that it is illegal to occupy municipal land by force, and to avoid the consequences they must leave the land and apply just like everyone else. They agreed to do that,” the police inspector told Nampa on Monday.
Nghaamwa added that on Saturday, he halted Uirab from erecting a shack on the plot he seized first.
The municipality has allegedly since laid charges of trespassing against Kandume and Uirab.
Kandume dismissed this, saying there is no charges of trespassing laid against them.
Uirab refused to comment, and referred this reporter to Kandume.
Communications Officer of the Swakopmund Municipality, Aili Gebhardt said the town authority chose not to comment as they are investigating the matter.
(NAMPA)
PKS/ND