Baby dies in shack fire in Havana

17 Dec 2014 18:10pm
WINDHOEK, 17 DEC (NAMPA) – A two-month-old baby girl burned to death in a shack fire in Windhoek's Havana informal settlement on Tuesday.
The baby was reportedly sleeping in the shack with her father when the fire broke out.
Windhoek Emergency and Fire Brigade Services Deputy Chief, Kuhapa Uazukuani, told Nampa upon enquiry on Wednesday that the incident occurred in Karasburg Street at around 22h00.
He said the mother of the baby informed fire fighters who arrived at the scene about 30 minutes after the fire started, that she had left the shack to go relieve herself in nearby bushes and had left a candle burning.
The father of the baby was awaken by the smell of smoke that had engulfed the corrugated iron shack. He reportedly then rushed out of the shack not realising that the baby was still inside.
The baby burned to death along with all the belongings that were inside.
Uazukuani cautioned residents to make sure objects like candles are only lit when needed.
“Take care of your loved ones, and attend to candles and burning objects at all times,” he said.
(NAMPA)
ANS/CT/ND