Toxicology results on wife-poisoning at Swakop pending

09 Dec 2014 15:50pm
SWAKOPMUND, 09 DEC (NAMPA) – The State is awaiting the toxicology results which will determine whether or not Swakopmund resident Mutaleni Yalukeni Jonas, 43, died of poisoning.
Mutaleni died in October this year, allegedly from poison administered by her husband Madala Junias, 48, at their house in the Mondesa residential area.
Madala is charged with murder, the violation of a protection order, possession of a firearm without a licence and the possession of illegal ammunition.
During his second appearance in the Swakopmund Magistrate’s Court on Monday, State Prosecutor Erastus Hatutale informed the court that the toxicology results and some witness statements are still pending.
The accused, who was not asked to plead, told the court that he did not yet seek legal representation, but wished to get a private lawyer.
“I did not get a lawyer yet because I am still in custody,” he responded when Magistrate Hannelie Prinsloo asked whether he has a legal representative.
He did not indicate any intention to formally apply for bail.
On the day of the suspected poisoning, Madala allegedly bought two bottles of beer, and started drinking with his wife.
Later, the wife started screaming that her husband had poisoned her.
The suspect also allegedly shot at Mutaleni with a pistol in August this year. The bullet missed her and hit a television set.
The shooting incident led to Madala's arrest and the laying of charges of attempted murder, possession of a firearm without a licence and illegal possession of ammunition.
He was given bail of N.dollars 5 000 for those crimes by the Swakopmund Magistrate's Court on 05 August, and a protection order which barred him from seeing his now-deceased wife and/or visiting their house in Mondesa where the deceased lived.
The order also required him to leave the district of Swakopmund, a situation which led to him to go and stay in Karibib, situated some 175 kilometres east of Swakopmund.
He violated that order by returning to their house in Mondesa, where he allegedly poisoned his wife to death.
The State objected to bail for Madala, saying the new case is a domestic-related murder, and also out of fear that the suspect would interfere with police investigations.
Another reason is that this alleged crime was committed while the accused was on bail on the charge of attempted murder and in violation of the protection order.
The case of attempted murder has since been struck from the court roll because the complainant is now dead.
The couple was separated, but still legally married.
Magistrate Prinsloo postponed the matter to 05 February 2015 for further police investigations, and for the toxicology results and witness statements.