Nam contributes over N$ 11 million to fight Ebola

06 Dec 2014 11:50am
WINDHOEK, 06 DEC (NAMPA) - Namibia has contributed over N.dollars 11 million towards the fight against the Ebola virus outbreak in west Africa.
Foreign Affairs Minister Netumbo Nandi-Ndeitwah said this here on Friday when she addressed the annual Diplomatic Corps meeting.
She stated that Namibia attended the African Union Emergency Executive Council meeting to consolidate collective continental efforts against Ebola in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in September this year.
That meeting discussed the Ebola outbreak in west Africa.
According to the latest World Health Organisation (WHO) update, the Ebola outbreak has so far claimed 6 070 lives in west Africa. The majority of these deaths were reported in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
Meanwhile, the Namibian Minister of Health and Social Services recently said Namibia is currently not at risk of the Ebola virus.
Richard Kamwi said it is unlikely for the deadly virus to occur in southern Africa, including Namibia.
In consultation with the WHO he said it was decided that there is no need for travel or trade restrictions to Ebola-affected countries.
(NAMPA)
KN/ND