14 Jul 2013 04:10
WINDHOEK, 14 JUL (NAMPA) - The trial of Windhoek resident Gerhard Komeya, who allegedly shot and killed his prison-warden girlfriend in the capital in September 2011, begins in the High Court here on Monday.
The 42-year-old Komeya stands accused of shooting and killing Kertu Maria Sheehama at the Hakahana settlement in the capital in September 2011.
He made an appearance before High Court Judge Nate Ndauendapo on 23 January this year during a pre-trial conference, and was told that the hearing of his alleged murder trial will start on 15 July.
The trial is set to run until 26 July.
The trial date was in January fixed as per an agreement reached by Komeya's State-sponsored defence lawyer, Mese Tjituri and the prosecution's representative, Deputy Prosecutor-General Antonia Verhoef.
Tjituri was appointed and instructed by the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid to defend Komeya during the proceedings of the trial proper that begins tomorrow, 15 July this year.
He allegedly shot and killed his late girlfriend, also 42 at the time of her death, with a hunting rifle in September 2011.
The murder incident allegedly came after the late Sheehama was scheduled to be transferred from Windhoek to Swakopmund after being promoted.
Jealousy is said to have played a part in the tragedy.
Family members and relatives earlier claimed that the relationship between Komeya and his deceased girlfriend was characterised by violence and abuse over the years.
During his previous appearances in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court in Katutura at the end of 2011 and earlier last year, a group of women and children marched to that court where they handed in a petition demanding that he be denied bail.
The demonstrating group members had carried placards condemning the alleged killer.
In the petition, the demonstrating women said the late Sheehama was killed in a 'horrible, wild, barbaric and cold-blooded manner' in front of her two minor children.
Komeya, who was arrested by Police at their house in the Hakahana area in Katutura shortly after the alleged murder incident, has been in police custody since his arrest with no option to post bail.
He was refused bail on 18 May last year when he brought a formal bail application before Windhoek Magistrate Kauli Nghishitende in Katutura.
During the hearing of the failed formal bail application, a prosecution team led by Public Prosecutor George Mahoney opposed the granting of bail to Komeya, citing the seriousness of the offence he committed.
Komeya brought the failed formal bail application through his own private instructed defence lawyer Thomas Nekongo of the local law firm Sisa Namandje and Partners at the time before he acquired a State-sponsored lawyer.
This failed application was brought before court in terms of Section 119 of the Criminal Procedures Act.