Pohamba pays tribute to Shixungileni

11 Oct 2014 08:30am
KING KAULUMA, 11 OCT (NAMPA) - President Hifikepunye Pohamba described the late Colonel Simeon Lineekela 'Kambo' Shixungileni as a brave soldier and a pillar of strength to his family and the community.
He was speaking during the memorial service of Shixungileni held at his homestead at the King Kauluma village in the Oshikoto Region on Friday.
Shixungileni died on 30 September in the Oshakati Intermediate Hospital due to cancer.
He was 80.
“We are here today to pay tribute to Comrade Shixungileni, a hero of Namibia, whose outstanding contribution to the national liberation struggle and the achievement of our freedom and independence will be forever remembered,” Pohamba told those present.
He said Shixungileni's dedication to the struggle for freedom and justice, his sacrifices and suffering on the notorious Robben Island Prison in South Africa should inspire all Namibians to work harder for a better Namibia.
Shixungileni went into exile in the early 1960s, and he became one of the first Swapo cadres to undergo military training in Tanzania as part of the party's preparation to intensify the liberation struggle through military means.
He was part of the first six members of the Swapo military wing, South West Africa Liberation Army (SWALA), who were chosen to be deployed within Namibia.
This unit's commander was the late John yaOtto Nangundu. Shixungileni was his deputy, while Patrick Israel 'Lungada' Iyambo, Message Victory, James Hamukwaya and Nestor Kavela were other members of the unit.
Five members of that unit have now passed away. The 75-year-old Kavela, who was the youngest, is still alive.
They walked from exile in Tanzania in 1965 to Namibia under the Swapo directive to report themselves to party leaders inside the country, namely Andimba Toivo yaToivo and Eliaser Tuhadeleni (Kahumba kaNdola).
This unit established its first military camp at Otamanzi in the Ongandjera traditional district in the Omusati Region, which they relocated to Omugulugwombashe, also in that region, after realising that colonial forces had detected them.
This group launched the armed liberation struggle at Omugulugwombashe when the colonial forces attacked them there on 26 August 1966.
Shixungileni was injured, arrested and sentenced to life-imprisonment at Robben Island, but he was fortunately released in 1985.
He will be buried with a 17-gun salute in a hero’s funeral at the King Kauluma settlement cemetery on Saturday.
He is survived by his wife Theopolina and six sons.