Boys who drowned at Otjiwarongo identified
05 Oct 2014 12:40pm
OTJIWARONGO, 05 OCT (NAMPA) The two boys who drowned in a sewage pond at Otjiwarongo have been identified as Stanley van Rooy and Moven Narubeb.
The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)s Otjozondjupa Regional Public Relations Officer, Sergeant Maureen Mbeha told Nampa on Sunday the boys were both aged 10, and had been in Grade 2 at Rogate Primary School in Otjiwarongo.
Their bodies were found in the sewage pond on Saturday by community members who had been collecting firewood in the area.
The police and officials from the Otjiwarongo Municipality were informed about the matter, and teamed up to retrieve the bodies.
Inquest 08/2014 was opened at the Otjiwarongo Police Station on Saturday evening.
Mbeha indicated that no complaints of missing children had been made with the police.
The boys lived in neighbouring homes in the Tsaraxa-Aibes residential area in Otjiwarongo.
Mbeha said they were last seen by their parents last Monday morning as they left for school.
The polices preliminary findings indicate that the boys were also seen at the Otjiwarongo Municipalitys dumpsite on Monday afternoon by community members.
Van Rooy and Narubeb occasionally stayed at their grandparents houses in the same residential area, and their parents were not concerned about their not returning home as they assumed they were with their grandparents.
Mbeha said the boys parents visited the Otjiwarongo Police Station on Sunday morning and positively identified them.
Police investigations into the matter continue.