DO NOT LISTEN TO RUMOURS OR INSTIGATIONS, SIBU KPG DATU LOT OWNERS TOLD

12 Jul 2013 11:19

SIBU, July 9 (Bernama) -- The government will engage all 61 lot owners in the Kampung Datu/Hilir areas destroyed by a big fire on June 19 for discussion should there be parties interested in developing the area for commercial purposes.

State Assistant Minister (Islamic affairs) Datuk Daud Abdul Rahman said as such they should not listen to any rumour or instigation.

He was speaking to 144 affected family heads before presenting cash donation totalling RM288,000 from the state Baitulmal Fund, here today.

The fire had destroyed more than 60 houses and made some 597 people homeless.

"You are the rightful owners. You will make the decision. But I would advise you it will be good, if you are relocated to a better and more condusive place for your new dwellings, to consider such offers," he said.

-- MORE

RUMOURS-KPG DATU 2 (LAST) SIBU

He assured them they would be properly compensated based on the market value of their land.

Later, speaking to the media, Daud said the Department of Islamic Affairs Sarawak would act sternly against all eating premises including hotels and restaurants hosting any "Ramadan Buffet" if they did not have the recognised or legitimate Halal certificate or for using the word misleadingly.

Daud said it was normal for them to cash on the Ramadan month to boost their sales by holding buffets to mark the breaking of the fast.

"But what is absolutely necessary and important is they must have the Halal certificates.

He said last year the department had come across eating premises holding Ramadan luncheons when it shoud be the breaking of the fast buffets while others had offered alcoholic drinks as well.

He said there were now about 350 hotels, restaurants and other eating premises so far which had obtained the halal certification state wide.

-- BERNAMA

ESS AO