South African cricket stalwart Jacques Kallis on Wednesday announced his retirement from all formats of international cricket.
“I realised in Sri Lanka that my dream of playing in a World Cup was a bridge too far,” Kallis said in a statement.
“I just knew on that tour that I was done. The squad that was in Sri Lanka is an amazing one and I believe they have a good chance of bringing the trophy home in March.”
Although Kallis, 38, has drawn the curtain on his career for South Africa, he said he would still play in Twenty20 franchise cricket.
“I am not retiring from all cricket as I have a two-year contract with the Sydney Thunder and, if possible, to help the Kolkata Knight Riders defend the IPL title we won earlier this year,” he said.
Cricket South Africa (CSA) chief executive Haroon Lorgat hailed Kallis as one of the world’s greatest cricket talents.
“He is undeniably one of the greatest players ever to have graced our wonderful game and he has certainly been the Proteas standard-bearer of excellence for nearly two decades,” Lorgat said.
“He has played a huge part in making cricket a truly national sport of winners and, in doing so, contributed so much to the important process of nation building.”
Lorgat said the veteran would be missed and thanked Kallis for his contribution to South African cricket.
“Each one of us from this day on will treasure the many fond memories of his awesome career,” Lorgat said.
“On behalf of CSA and all our stakeholders, I would like to sincerely thank Jacques for his huge contribution to the game of cricket and wish him only the best as he moves on from the international playing arena.”
Source: The Citizen