Boy who was up for sale relocated from father’s homestead

17 Jul 2014 11:10am
RUNDU, 17 JUL (NAMPA) – A 10-year-old boy whose biological father allegedly attempted to sell him, has been moved to a relative’s home for safety reasons.
A 32-year-old man was arrested by the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) on 04 July this year for allegedly offering to sell his 10-year-old son for N.dollars 75 000.
Diyeve Detembero, a resident of the Kehemu informal settlement on the outskirts of Rundu, appeared in the Rundu Magistrate’s Court on 07 July on a charge of human trafficking.
The case against him was postponed to 02 October this year for further police investigations.
The accused was denied bail by Rundu Magistrate Helen Olaiya because investigations are still at the initial stage, and because the offence is deemed serious.
A social worker within the Ministry of Gender Equality and Child Welfare, Fransiska Hamutenya told this agency on Thursday that the boy, whose identity is known but cannot be revealed, has been moved away from his father’s house.
He currently lives with his aunt.
She said the ministry has no other option but to let him live with his aunt as there are currently no shelters to house minor victims in both the Kavango East and West Regions.
The social worker said earlier that the Ministry of Gender Equality and Child Welfare is in the process of renovating a three-bedroom house at Rundu, set to serve as a safe haven for such children.
The boy is said to be living in fear after he found out that he was up for sale.
His father indicated in his first court appearance that he will seek the services of a private attorney.
According to the charge-sheet, the suspect apparently wanted to ‘get rid of’ his biological son because the boy is a school drop-out, was “useless at home and supporting him was a financial burden”.
Detembero was arrested by a police officer who pretended to be the potential buyer.
The ‘buyer’, who was tipped-off by some members of the community, offered the father a deposit of N.dollars 15 000 as guarantee that his son will be bought.
He was also refused bail because the magistrate said it will not be in the interest of the administration of justice, and because there is a public outcry over the matter.
The State further fears for the accused person’s life if he is released on bail.
The incident is widely regarded by residents at the town as testimony to ongoing rumours of muti-related crimes, in which human body parts are used for rituals.
(NAMPA)
OH/AS/TK