11 Jul 2014 11:50am
WINDHOEK, 11 JUL (NAMPA) - The Ministry of Health and Social Services (MOHSS) will conduct a measles vaccination campaign in the capital later this month, following an outbreak of measles in the Khomas Region recently.
The vaccinations are scheduled for 21 to 25 July at all health centres and mobile points in the capital, said Ester Paulus, the MOHSS public relations officer.
She told Nampa on enquiry on Friday that the measles outbreak in the region was noticed in May 2014, and 93 suspected cases have been recorded thus far.
The total laboratory-confirmed cases are 15, and no death to measles has been reported so far.
The aim of the campaign is to protect children under five years of age (the risk group) from getting measles, Paulus stated.
All children from six months to 59 months should be vaccinated to protect them from getting the disease because their immune systems are not strong enough.
If the child is not vaccinated, we are not saying he/she will die, but the child will be at risk of getting measles.
Severe complications may also follow, including severe eye infections which could lead to blindness; severe ear infections which may lead to deafness; and brain infections or respiratory infections, which may lead to death, she added.
Paulus thus urged parents and caregivers not to put children at risk of vaccine-preventable diseases.
They should take children for vaccination. It is free of charge, and health passports are highly required for recording purposes, she noted.
The campaign will be held at about 58 points - fixed and mobile.