Stars and Pirates to play 8 minutes Wednesday
01 Jul 2014 17:40pm
WINDHOEK, 01 JUL (NAMPA) - The abandoned game between Namibia Premier League (NPL) outfits Orlando Pirates and African Stars will be replayed on Wednesday this week at the Sam Nujoma Stadium.
The eight-minute match will start at 19h00, and both team sheets, players, substitutes and match officials will remain the same as on the day the match was abandoned, the NPL announced on Tuesday.
The game was abandonment on 16 April this year after the lights at the Sam Nujoma Stadium went out. At the time, there were only eight minutes of play left on the clock, with Pirates leading by 2-0.
In a statement availed to Nampa on Tuesday, NPL chairperson Johnny Doeseb said the long delay to the 2013/14 Mobile Telecommunications Limited/NPL season would come to an end this week, following African Stars court case having been struck off the High Court role last week.
African Stars took the matter to the High Court in efforts to have the entire match replayed and not only eight minutes.
Doeseb was further quoted as saying the NPL has notified both clubs, and expects the two teams to honour the completion of the match on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the NPL top official indicated that a decision is pending for possibly punishing African Stars for bringing the league into disrepute.
He said this will be done in accordance with the NPL Constitution, Namibia Football Association (NFA) rules and International Federation of Football Associations (FIFA) statutes.
The completion of the league was already delayed due to this court case, and if the judicial organs of football consider to do so (take legal action against Stars), they will have to speed it up so that we have no more delays, said Doeseb.