MELAKA, July 6 (Bernama) -- Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Idris Haron has asked various quarters to stop making conflicting statements on Jonker Walk.
Expressing his regret that his statement had been twisted, Idris said he was portrayed by certain quarters as denying traders in Jonker walk from conducting their business.
"I have suggested that the road in Jonker Walk would be opened for four weeks to study the traffic flow there. This has been misconstrued as I intend to close businesses in the area.
"The state government has no ulterior motive against the traders there. Do not manipulate our good intention," he told reporters after launching the Melaka Economic Consultative Council (NECC) in Ayer Keroh here today.
Jalan Hang Jebat along the Jonker Walk was opened to vehicles on June 28 to reduce traffic congestion, especially in urban areas on weekends, much to the relief of motorists.
Idris said Jonker Walk traders would also be placed along four feeder roads to Jalan Hang Jebat.
NO HM MB