KUCHING, July 6 (Bernama) -- The Department of Safety and Health (DOSH) today confirmed that there was procedural and technical negligence by the contractor in the Second Penang Bridge ramp collapse on June 6.
"We have more or less completed the investigation and identified the shortcomings related to the contractor's negligence.
"So we are now preparing the charges and will be discussing the matter next week with the deputy public prosecutors to get consent," DOSH director-general Datuk Ir. Dr Johari Basri said today.
He was speaking at a press conference, also attended by Human Resource Minister Datuk Richard Riot who had earlier distributed cheques to 876 former employees of Samina-Sci Corporation retrenched in October last year.
Meanwhile, at a separate function in Kuching, Works Minister Datuk Fadillah Yusof said the ministry would refer to the DOSH investigation report to improve processes in the construction sector.
DOSH-INVESTIGATION 2 (LAST) KUCHING
"This report will be used by a group of experts set up by the ministry led by CIDB Malaysia chief executive Datuk Seri Ir Dr Judin Abdul Karim to study the good construction practices we need to develop.
"The aim of the study is to reduce the risks of untoward incidents such as collapses and building site accidents and deaths, which we need to handle in a comprehensive way instead of ad-hoc manner," he added.
NBA2 NBA2 PA