Accused killer Angula fires defence lawyer

13 Jun 2014 14:00pm
WINDHOEK, 13 JUN (NAMPA) - A Walvis Bay resident who stands accused of beating his girlfriend to death with a hammer at a dumpsite at that harbour town in November 2012, has fired his State-appointed defence lawyer.
The 38-year-old Otto Angula fired Windhoek-based defence lawyer Christiaan Nambahu on Friday morning following a disagreement between the lawyer and his client on how to proceed with the murder case.
Angula wanted to enter a guilty plea to the charge of killing his late girlfriend Martha Nakale, 32, during the early morning hours of 22 November 2012 by allegedly hitting her repeatedly with a hammer on the head and other parts of the body.
The accused could, however, not enter his plea to the charge on Friday morning as he could not agree with the contents of a statement drafted by his lawyer.
Nambahu then withdrew from the case after Angula terminated his service, in the process leaving the accused with no legal representation.
As a result of these developments, presiding High Court Judge Alfred Siboleka granted an order for the postponement of the case to Monday in order allow the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal of Aid to appoint and instruct another defence lawyer to represent Angula.
Nambahu recently took over the case from his associate Mbanga Siyomundji.
A summary of substantial facts contained in the charge sheet allege that Angula killed his girlfriend at the Walvis Bay dumpsite by hitting her repeatedly with a hammer, iron or other object.
Nakale died at the scene due to bleeding on the brain as a result of the assault.
According to the State, the accused arrived at the workplace of the deceased during the early morning hours of 22 November armed with a hammer and/or piece of iron.
After he allegedly chased away colleagues of the deceased, he marched Nakale away from her colleagues and took her to the dumpsite where he allegedly murdered her before fleeing the scene.
He was arrested on the same day by the police.