Mystery surrounds Otjiwarongo State Hospital renovations

21 May 2014 13:20pm
By Mulisa Simiyasa
OTJIWARONGO, 21 MAY (NAMPA) – The Permanent Secretary (PS) in the Ministry of Health and Social Services, Andrew Ndishishi on Monday denied any knowledge of renovations underway at a section of the Otjiwarongo State Hospital.
“Who approved such renovations? That is something I am not aware of. I never signed documents for any renovations at a section of the Otjiwarongo State Hospital, nor authorised somebody to do so,” he told Nampa.
Ndishishi said no renovations can be done at any State hospital in the country without his knowledge, as he is the accounting officer of the Health Ministry.
These renovations, which include work on the hospital’s kitchen, began in November 2013 at a cost of about N.dollars 1,3 million according to quotations for the job seen by this reporter.
The renovations are being carried out by Windhoek-based Hatworld Trading CC.
Ndishishi said the only construction work he is aware of at that hospital is on the Nurses’ Home.
The PS promised to investigate who had signed for the renovation work.
On her part, Otjozondjupa Regional Health Director Maria Kavezembi confirmed to this agency on Monday that renovations are underway at a section of the Otjiwarongo State Hospital and kitchen.
Kavezembi, however, said she too does not know how the contractor was given the tender to renovate since she was neither involved in the tendering process, nor identified what work needed to be done.
She nonetheless tried to hunt down the person who had authorised the renovation work, but her efforts failed – such as getting a clear answer from the ministry’s headquarters in Windhoek.
Contacted for comment on how Hatworld Trading CC got the tender to renovate that section, company owner Herold Gaeseb demanded to see written questions so that he could also reply in writing.
The questions were faxed to his office in Windhoek on Monday afternoon, and he confirmed receipt of the fax.
However, by Wednesday this week, Gaeseb had still not replied.
Further efforts to reach him by phone failed as he just ignored all phone calls and text messages from this reporter.