Investigations into alleged child murder case not complete

07 May 2014 14:30pm
WINDHOEK, 07 MAY (NAMPA) – Namibian Police investigations into the case of a female inmate who allegedly caused the death of another inmate's four-year-old son here in January 2014, are not yet completed.
This came to light when Loise Kaambu, who allegedly caused the death of the child in the Wanaheda police station's holding cells this year, made another appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old Kaambu made a third appearance before Windhoek Magistrate Surita Savage when her case was remanded until 01 September this year for the police investigating officers to complete their investigations.
She repeated her earlier stance of not wanting to be provided with free legal assistance from the government today.
During previous court proceedings, she told the court that “I will not apply to the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid for a State-funded lawyer because I do not need such legal assistance.”
Kaambu was refused bail when she made her first appearance in the same court on 27 January 2014.
During that first court appearance, Public Prosecutor Peter Kandjumbwa objected to the granting of bail because of the seriousness of the charge of murder.
She was, however, advised to bring a formal bail application before court if she wanted to be released on bail.
Inspector Stephan Nuuyi of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Public Relations’ Division told a media briefing in January this year after the incident that the deceased child’s head was allegedly hit hard against the floor twice, and he sustained serious head injuries.
According to Nuuyi, a fight between Kaambu and the boy’s mother in the Wanaheda police station’s holding cells on 21 January 2014 allegedly led to the death of the boy, who was incarcerated with his mother at the time of the incident.
The incident took place between 14h00 and 15h00, and the boy died at the Katutura State Hospital at around 19h45 on the same day.
The mother of the deceased boy was allegedly in custody for shoplifting, and had failed to post bail of N.dollars 500.
Kaambu was in custody for assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
After the incident, the accused was moved from the female cell to the visitors’ cell to prevent her from harming other female inmates.
She is now being kept in police custody at the newly-built police holding cells at the eastern town of Gobabis in the Omaheke Region.