22 Apr 2014 17:00pm
OTAVI, 22 APR (NAMPA) Three men appeared in the Otavi Magistrates Court on Tuesday in connection with a gang-rape that allegedly occurred here last Thursday.
The three accused men who appeared before Magistrate Elvis Mwilima are Isaskar Gariseb, 24, Lukas Gaoseb, 28, and a 21-year-old David Naibeb.
Mwilima denied them bail and postponed their case to 27 May 2014 for further police investigation.
The magistrate also explained to the accused that they each have a legal right to engage private lawyers, defend themselves in court or apply for state-funded lawyers through the Ministry of Justices Directorate of Legal Aid.
They all opted to apply for state-funded lawyers through Legal Aid Directorate.
Public Prosecutor Leonard Tjiveze represented the State.
It is alleged that the accused persons gang-raped a 20-year-old woman in a public toilet at the Otavi Single Quarters on Thursday last week.
The Namibian Police Forces (NamPol) Otjozondjupa Regional Public Relations Officer, Sergeant Maureen Mbeha told Nampa on Monday that the suspects were apprehended on that same day (last Thursday) at Otavi.
Mbeha explained that the three men had allegedly followed the woman from a shebeen where she was earlier seen drinking alcohol in the early hours of Thursday morning.
The woman was on her way back home from the shebeen when the incident happened.
It is alleged that one of the accused men grabbed the woman from behind and pulled her into a public toilet at the Single Quarters in Otavi, shortly after 24h00 on Thursday.
The three then repeatedly raped her in the public toilet. They then fled the scene and left her there crying, Mbeha said.
Police investigations in the matter continue.