72-year-old woman dies in fire at Walvis Bay
10 Jul 2013 10:40
WALVIS BAY, 10 JUL (NAMPA) ? A 72-year-old woman burned to death late on Tuesday evening in the central business district of this harbour town.
The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)?s Crime Investigations? Coordinator in the Erongo Region, Deputy Commissioner Ottilie Kashuupulwa informed Nampa on Wednesday that the deceased has been identified as Elizabeth Legge.
Kashuupulwa said the fire ignited around 23h20 on that evening, and two other people also sustained injuries during the ordeal.
The owner of the apartment, a 59-year old man, allegedly broke his leg after a piece of iron fell on it. He was transported to Windhoek for medical treatment, while another woman sprained her ankle after jumping from the first floor of the building in an attempt to escape the fire.
The chief of the Walvis Bay Fire Department, Willie van Zyl told Nampa that the fire started inside the flat of the deceased.
It?s suspected that the fire originated from a lit cigarette, but the actual cause will be confirmed after a forensic investigation, Van Zyl stated.