Accused killer cop Komeya goes on trial in 2015

26 Mar 2014 13:40pm
WINDHOEK, 26 MAR (NAMPA) - A man who allegedly shot and killed his prison warden girlfriend in the capital during September 2011, will go on trial in February 2015.
The trial of 43-year-old Gerhard Komeya will begin in the High Court here on 09 February 2015, and will run until 20 February 2015.
High Court Judge Naomi Shivute has been assigned to preside over the alleged murder trial.
Komeya stands accused of shooting and killing his then 42-year-old girlfriend Kertu Maria Tunondjambi Sheehama at the Hakahana settlement in the capital on 10 September 2011.
The date for the alleged killer cop's trial was decided upon by Komeya's State-funded defence lawyer Monty Karuaihe and prosecution representative, Deputy Prosecutor-General Antonia Verhoef in court on Wednesday morning.
The former police officer allegedly shot and killed his girlfriend with a hunting rifle, and it allegedly came about as the late Sheehama was scheduled to be transferred from Windhoek to Swakopmund as part of her promotion to a higher post.
Jealousy is also said to have played a part in the tragedy.
The Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid appointed Windhoek-based defence lawyer Karuaihe a few months back to represent the accused.
This was done following the withdrawal of the first State-appointed defence lawyer, Mese Tjituri from the case on 15 July last year after the two men could not reach an amicable agreement on how to proceed with the trial.
In the matter, family members and relatives had earlier claimed that the relationship between Komeya and his deceased girlfriend was characterised by violence and abuse over the years.
During his previous appearances in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court in Katutura at the end of 2011 and earlier in 2012, a group of women and children marched to that court and handed over a petition, demanding that he should be denied bail.
In the petition, the demonstrators said the late Sheehama was killed in a horrible, wild, barbaric and cold-blooded manner in front of her two minor children.
Komeya, who was arrested by the police at their house in the Hakahana area of Katutura shortly after the alleged murder incident, has been in police custody since his arrest with no option to post bail.
He was refused bail on 18 May 2012 when he brought a formal bail application before Windhoek magistrate Kauli Nghishitende.
During the bail hearing, a prosecution team led by Public Prosecutor George Mahoney opposed the granting of bail, citing the seriousness of the offence.
Komeya brought the formal bail application through his own defence lawyer Thomas Nekongo of the local law firm Sisa Namandje and Partners at the time, before he acquired a State-sponsored lawyer.
Verhoef is set to represent the State in the trial.
(NAMPA)
SKE/ND/