10 Mar 2014 12:30pm
WINDHOEK, 10 MAR (NAMPA) The DTA of Namibia says people who live in the informal settlements of Swakopmund, Walvis Bay and Henties Bay are losing their lives and belongings to shack fires regularly.
The partys regional secretary in the Erongo Region, Manuel Ngarigombe made the remarks in a media statement availed to Nampa here on Monday, saying the national, local and regional leadership of the country are failing to provide quality housing to the inhabitants of the towns.
In Swakopmund, in the cause of last week, seven shacks in the DRC informal settlement burned to ashes, and owners were left out in the cold, he said.
Some of these shacks, Ngarigombe said, are headed by single mothers, whose monthly incomes will not be able to recover their lost properties in a very short period of time.
In Walvis Bay, five houses burned to ashes in January this year, during which two young men and women lost their live, he noted.
I am demanding that the local authorities of the three coastal towns as receivers of municipal revenue and beneficiaries of funds from the Build-Together and Targeted Intervention Programme for Employment and Economic Growth (TIPEEG) projects tell our people how these funds are being spend, he stressed.
Ngarigombe said it is a shame to know that after almost 24 years of independence the wealth of this country is not shared equally, as the poor remain poor but the elite of this country are enjoying the wealth of the country.
The DTA regional secretary promised that his party will continue to be the voice of the voiceless and address inequality in the country to move forward.
We demand that the people from informal settlements be the beneficiaries of the mass-housing project, and the process should start now without delay, he stressed.
Meanwhile, Walvis Bay Mayor Uilika Nambahu said in January this year during her towns first council meeting for 2014 that appropriate shelter should be delivered as a matter of urgency by the Walvis Bay Town Council to its inhabitants.
We are doing everything in our power to address our housing shortage as we want to do away with shacks in our suburbs, Nambahu was quoted as saying in New Era newspaper article at the time.
She said plans are underway to relocate some backyard squatters at the town to another area this year, and she also promised that the formalisation of ownership for Tutaleni and the old hostel re-development will also be completed this year.
The Tutaleni Housing Project was initiated in 2000 by the Walvis Bay Municipality in an effort to curb the growing number of shacks at the town and to move squatters to a hygienic area with basic services.