Meatco AGM taking place on Friday

20 Jun 2013 09:40
WINDHOEK, 20 JUN (NAMPA) - The 27th annual general meeting (AGM) of the Meat Corporation of Namibia (Meatco) will take place at the Wanderers Sports Club in Windhoek on Friday.
At the top of the agenda is the inclusion of game in the definition of livestock, and the status of the ownership of the corporation.
According to an invitation to the event issued by Meatco?s Manager of Communications and Marketing Mario Poolman on Thursday, other matters to be addressed include sections of the Meatco Act, 1 of 2001, which comprises requirements for registration as a producer of livestock under Section 17; and the definition of livestock.
Allowances payable to the directors of the Board or members of any committee; and the number of persons required to be nominated for purposes of representing the Board, which includes communal farmers, commercial farmers, abattoirs and those trading in livestock and livestock products, will also be discussed.
Cabinet last year approved that the ownership of Meatco be vested in the sui generis co-operative with a majority shareholding of 70 per cent, and Government with a golden share of the remaining 30 per cent.
In a recent move, the Minister of Agriculture, Water and Forestry, John Mutorwa requested that 24 nominations for the new Board of Directors be made during the AGM, and that those nominations should be equally divided between males and females.
The current Meatco Board?s term expires on 31 August 2013.
In addition, the Minister advised that farmers and agricultural unions, the Abattoir Association of Namibia, auctioneers? organisations and the Livestock Producers? Forum be consulted about the nominations for the new Board first.
All such nominated names must be received not later than 24 July 2013.
However, Poolman said in a media statement issued a week ago that some of the recommendations in the minister?s letter infringed on the rights of Meatco members, and would constitute illegal action by the Meatco Board if they were implemented.
He said Meatco members are free to nominate candidates for the Board, regardless of gender, race or any other form of discrimination.
The Meatco Act stipulates that four of the six positions on the Board can only be filled, and be nominated to, by Meatco members. The fifth position on the Board is nominated by Meatco employees, and the last position is appointed from the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry.
(NAMPA)
PC/AS/TK