Kalkrand murder trial put on hold

19 Jun 2013 09:10
WINDHOEK, 19 JUN (NAMPA) - The trial of two men charged with the murder of two other men at Kalkrand in the Hardap Region in July 2005, has been put on hold until next week.
The matter of Raynoldt Windstaan and Johannes Eixab was postponed on Wednesday to next Monday because Eixab's State-appointed defence lawyer, Titus Mbaeva is said to be on sick leave until this Friday.
The two accused were arrested for the alleged murders of Klaas Titus, 42, and John McNab, 39, who were reported missing in July 2005.
Their skeletal remains were only discovered in an unused well on Farm Good Hope in the Schlip area of the Hardap Region during July 2009.
Windstaan and Eixab allegedly assaulted the two deceased persons at the village of Omamas, west of Kalkrand, between 16 and 18 July in 2005.
?Unfortunately, the trial cannot proceed today. The defence counsel of accused Johannes Eixab is not in court today because he is on sick leave. This matter is, therefore, put on hold until Monday next week,? presiding High Court Judge Naomi Shivute said as she granted the postponement.
State Advocate Eric Moyo did not object to the postponement.
Both Windstaan and Eixab were again remanded in police custody at the Windhoek Central Prison's holding cells.
Evidence presented during the trial so far had it that the two accused persons allegedly drove with Titus and McNab to the farm, where they threw them into a well, ensuring that they could not escape.
Windstaan and Eichab pleaded not guilty to the charges against them - two counts of murder and a count of defeating or obstructing the course of justice, or attempting to do so.
So far, two State witnesses have testified in court that they saw Windstaan and Eichab assaulting Titus and McNab, saying they were the last to see the two men alive.
Windhoek-based defence lawyer Winnie Christiaans is appearing for Windstaan.
Mbaeva and Christiaans are acting on the instructions of the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid.
(NAMPA)
SKE/AS/TK