Americans' alleged murder case awaits PG's decision

17 Jun 2013 06:40
WINDHOEK, 17 JUN (NAMPA) - The case of two American nationals arrested in connection with the alleged killing of a Windhoek resident in January 2011, still awaits a decision from the Office of Prosecutor-General Martha Ekandjo-Imalwa.
Marcus Kevin Tomas, 25, and 24-year-old Kevan Townsend were arrested by members of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)'s Serious Crime Unit on 12 January 2011 in connection with Andre Heckmair's murder.
They made another appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court on Monday when their alleged murder case was remanded until 04 October this year in order to allow the PG's office to pronounce itself on the matter.
?Today's postponement was made as a final remand for the PG's decision,? Windhoek Magistrate Justine Asino stated.
Windhoek-based defence lawyer Vetu Uanivi appeared for the Americans, while Public Prosecutor Samantha Diergaardt represented the State.
During the duo's first court appearance on 14 January 2011, Townsend denied knowing Heckmair, claiming that he first heard of the name after his arrest.
Tomas and Townsend are the only names mentioned by the police so far in connection with the investigation into Heckmair's murder, which allegedly took place on 12 January 2011 in Windhoek.
According to the police, Heckmair was scheduled to return to Europe for studies after spending a holiday with his family in Namibia, but was found dead behind the wheel of a Land Cruiser pick-up at a cul-de-sac in Klein Windhoek.
Police said he died of a single shot to the head.
Prompt investigations launched by the police led them to a guesthouse in Windhoek West later that day, where they arrested Tomas and Townsend.
The police initially arrested the two Americans on a charge of illegal possession of dagga in order to keep them in custody while they were busy investigating the murder case and their links to Heckmair.
NamPol's crime coordinator for the Khomas Region, Deputy Commissioner Sylvanus Nghishidimbwa said at the time that the police had been unable to locate the murder weapon or the mobile phone and wallet containing at least N.dollars 1 000, which were missing from Heckmair's car.
Townsend told the police that he is a resident of New York, while Tomas said he lives in Los Angeles.
The two accused were again on Monday remanded in police custody at the Windhoek Central Prison, with no option to post bail until their next court appearance on 04 October this year.