Two boys killed by hand grenade in Ruacana

16 Jun 2013 10:30
WINDHOEK, 16 JUN (NAMPA) - Two boys, aged 11 and 12, died on the spot on Friday after a hand grenade they were playing with exploded in the Omudhuwauhanga village of the Ruacana Constituency.
Namibian Police Inspector Stephan Nuuyi told members of the media here on Sunday the boys went to look for donkeys in the bushes when they came across the unexploded hand grenade.
The boys were only discovered dead by relatives the following day at about 07h00.
The names of the boys were not immediately available, and police investigations continue.
In a separate incident, the Okahao Police arrested a 23-year-old woman after she gave birth to a baby boy and allegedly killed him.
Nuuyi said the woman used an unknown method to kill the baby and hide the body in shrubs on the Punyu premises in Okahao.
The dead baby was discovered on Saturday.
Police investigations continue.
Meanwhile, 28-year-old Andreas Iita was on Saturday shot and wounded in the right leg and waist by a police officer after he allegedly tried to flee from the scene of a crime.
Nuuyi said Iita was rushed to the Okahao District Hospital, but died while being transported to the Oshakati Intermediate Hospital.
The deceased was reportedly threatening and harassing other residents of the Okahao Constituency with a panga before the police was summoned to restore order.
The deceased allegedly resisted arrest and fled into bushes, and police officers fired twice into his direction.
The deceased?s next of kin are informed.
Another 28-year-old man, Erastus Kaulungamenwa, died on the sport after the driver of the white Nissan pick-up, in which he was a passenger, lost control and overturned.
The accident happened after an unknown truck allegedly bumped the pick-up from behind on the Otavi-Tsumeb road at about 19h30 on Thursday.
Two other passengers and the driver sustained minor injuries.
Police investigations continue.
In Windhoek, the Wanaheda Police opened a case of attempted murder after a 38-year-old man shot his girlfriend through the right shoulder and then shot himself through the head.
The incident took place last Tuesday along Darling Street in the Wanahada residential area.
Both the victim and suspect were admitted at the Katutura State Hospital, and the suspect is reportedly in a critical condition.
It is suspected that the incident occurred as a result of a broken relationship between the two people.
Nuuyi said it is alleged the suspect came to the victim's house to collect his fridge, and an argument erupted leading to the shooting.
The fridge is registered in the girlfriend's name, but the boyfriend was paying the account.
Police investigations continue.