Part of SA regains FMD-free status

24 Feb 2014 11:40am
WINDHOEK, 24 FEB (NAMPA) – A part of South Africa has regained foot-and-mouth (FMD)-free zone status, and can now continue with meat imports and exports.
South Africa (SA) announced FMD outbreaks in the districts of Jozini, a settlement in the Umkhanyakude District Municipality in the KwaZulu-Natal province; and the Umhlabuyalingana, a province of KwaZulu-Natal in 2011.
The World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) awarded these parts FMD-free zone status without vaccination on 14 February 2014.
The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry (MAFW) Joseph Iita said in a media statement issued here on Sunday that trade can resume with immediate effect in the OIE-recognised free zone.
“Trade from the OIE-recognised free zone of SA with regard to the following commodities on commercial basis can assume with immediate effect: domestic ungulates (including cattle, sheep and goats); cloven-hoofed game (excluding buffalo); fresh meat of domestic ungulates; partially-processed or raw hides, skins and trophies); and commercial quantities of pork, including for own consumption,” he explained.
Iita also called on individuals travelling from SA to Namibia to import only 25 kilogrammes of meat (cattle, sheep, goat or game) for own consumption according to the bilateral agreement between the two countries.
A maximum of 10 kilogrammes of biltong or dry sausages (droewors) per passenger vehicle without a veterinary import permit or veterinary health certificate is required.
For the importation of fresh meat of domestic ungulates, a veterinary import and a permit from the Meat Board is required.
For the importation of partially-processed or raw hides, skins and trophies, a veterinary import permit from the Ministry of Environment and Tourism, or from the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) for certain game species is needed.
For the importation of livestock, a veterinary import permit and livestock improvement permit are required. For the importation of game, a veterinary import permit is needed as well as permits from the MET or CITES for certain game species.