Cholera spreads to Windhoek
12 Feb 2014 19:10pm
WINDHOEK, 12 FEB (NAMPA) - Two cases of cholera have been reported in Windhoek early this week.
The Public Relations Officer (PRO) in the Ministry of Health and Social Services (MoHSS), Ester Paulus confirmed this to Nampa on Wednesday afternoon, saying one case of cholera was reported at the Katutura State Hospital on Monday, where that person was treated and discharged.
The second case was reported at the Windhoek Central Hospital, and that patient is from the Kunene Region, where there is currently a cholera outbreak.
Paulus could, however, not say whether the second person was discharged or not.
On Wednesday, the number of people treated for cholera symptoms in the Kunene Region since last November stood at 479.
A total of 454 people were reported to have contracted cholera between 16 November last year, when the outbreak started, and last Tuesday.
The acting Director of Health for the Kunene Region, Katrina Tjiveze told this agency that one adult female and four children were being treated at the cholera centre - a tented camp that has been set up at that hospital for the treatment of cholera patients.
The death toll still stands at 15 people, she said.
Cholera is an infection of the small intestine caused by the bacterium Vibrio cholerae.